- Officially recognized as an education and training program by the College of Registered Psychotherapists of Ontario (CRPO)
- 3-year program with over 360 education hours
- Practicum of 450 clinical hours
- Students receive over 100 hours of clinical supervision
- Students are expected to be in at least weekly personal psychotherapy
- Class Location: TICP Office & Community Clinic, 427 Vaughan Road, Toronto, ON, M6C 2P1
- No distance learning option is available at this time; all candidates must attend in person. *Note: All class seminars have been moved online temporarily during the COVID-19 pandemic. Weekly lectures are held via synchronous videoconference.
- This is a part-time program; academic classes are held weekly on Thursday evenings from 7:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m. from September until May; there will be occasional weekend classes and workshops required. Once clinical practicum work begins in Year 2 and Year 3, students will complete required clinical hours weekly throughout the year as the clinic operates year-round.
- Location: TICP Office & Community Clinic, 427 Vaughan Road, Toronto, ON, M6C 2P1
- Tuition Fees: $5,000 for each Year 1, Year 2 and Year 3
- Supervision Fees: $5,000 for each Year 2 and Year 3
- Total Tuition and Supervision Fees for Program: $25,000
- Next Application Deadline: June 1st, 2022
- A new class begins only once every two years
Classes are conducted in lecture style, interactive group process, experiential learning, media-based learning as well as in vivo practice of interviewing skills and role-playing as candidates prepare for clinical practice. Students will also be expected to engage in self-directed learning outside of classroom hours, complete readings to inform participation in class discussions and complete assignments to demonstrate knowledge transfer and competency in each learning module.
Clinical Practicum Training
Clinical practicum hours will begin in year 2 at the TICP Free Clinic. Candidates will be able to complete the clinical requirement in 2 years with a caseload of 5 patient hours per week. The clinic operates year-round. Students will participate in group and individual case supervision with a minimum of 100 individual supervision hours. Each student will be assigned a supervisor who meets the criteria of the CRPO to work with them on a weekly basis to develop their skills as a clinician and to support them in conceptualizing their case formulations and exploring therapeutic process and interventions.
Applicants will be required to have completed a minimum of a B.A. Students with undergraduate degrees in Psychology, Sociology and Social Work will be given priority. As well, students with demonstrated volunteer and/or relevant work experience will also receive preferential consideration. Each candidate will be considered individually based on experience, coursework and other relevant background.
Grading and Assignments
All assignments are expected to be completed according to the deadlines and will be assigned a grade of pass/fail. Students must maintain a pass on all assignments by the end of each year of study to continue in the program. Any make-up assignments or re-submissions will be at the discretion of the course instructor.
Students are expected to attend all classes. It is the responsibility of the student to let the course instructor know if they are unable to attend a session and to make arrangements with the instructor to ensure they are up to date on readings and lectures. A maximum of 3 sessions can be missed per year. Any extenuating circumstances will be considered on an individual basis.
Tuition & Supervision
Tuition is $5,000.00 each Year 1, Year 2 and Year 3.
Tuition includes Guest Membership in the Toronto Society for Contemporary Psychoanalysis for the duration of the Program.
Supervision is $5,000 in each Year 2 and Year 3.
Total Program Tuition & Supervision Fees: $25,000
APPLICATION DEADLINE IS JUNE 1, 2022 FOR THE SEPTEMBER 2022 CLASS START
There is a standard, non-refundable application fee of $250.00
Applicants are encouraged to apply early. Applications will be accepted beginning in February 2022. Class size is limited to 30 participants.
All applicants have a minimum of one application interview.
Please click the button below to download the FILLABLE 3-Year Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy Program FILLABLE Application Form.