An Exploration of the Work of D. W. Winnicott
Presenter: Peter Dales, RP, BA
DATES: Spring 2020 Thursday evenings ~ March 5, 12, 26, April 2, 16, 23, 30, 2020
NOTE: DUE TO THE CORONAVIRUS COVID-19 PANDEMIC, ALL CLASSES WILL NOW BE HELD BY VIDEOCONFERENCE ONLY. NO FACE-TO-FACE CLASSES ARE CURRENTLY BEING HELD.
TIME: 7:30 p.m. – 9:30 p.m.
Fee: $275 Regular, $175 Student
This course will focus on Winnicott’s cogent and compelling theory of early emotional development and on an examination of special topics from Winnicott’s writings: the true and false self; the anti-social tendency; creativity; Winnicott’s “Definition of Psychotherapy”, transitional objects, potential space and use of an object; Winnicott’s treatment of children; and the clinical usefulness of Winnicott.
By the end of this course, participants should be able to:
1. Understand Winnicott’s developmental theory
2. Integrate a working knowledge of Winnicott’s theory and clinical practice
3. Apply Winnicott’s notions of the therapeutic set-up, of the “holding” and safe environment
4. Understand that the therapeutic relationship in adult therapy, in important ways, reflects the dyad of the “good-enough” mother and baby
5. Understand that the result of the therapeutic process is to help patients become “more real, more alive, more creative and more true to themselves”.
Interaction among the course participants and discussion of the material are most welcome.
ABOUT THE SPEAKER
Peter Dales RP, BA has been in private practice, working with adult individuals, couples and groups in the psychoanalytic psychotherapeutic modality for 47 years and is faculty emeritus of the Centre for Training in Psychotherapy (CTP) (Toronto) for 2 years. He is a guest member of the Toronto Psychoanalytic Society.
For more information please call 416.288.8060 or download the WINNICOTT COURSE FLYER
[callout font_size=”16px” style=”silver”]Click Here To Register Today [button url=”https://www.gifttool.com/registrar/ShowEventDetails?ID=1485&EID=27904 ” target=”_blank” size=”small” style=”cherry” ]Spring 2020 Extension Program[/button][/callout]