An Exploration of the Work of Sandor Ferenczi
DATES: 7 Seminars in Spring 2021 on Thursday evenings ~ March 25, April 1, 8, 15, 22, 29, May 6, 2021
NOTE: DUE TO THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC, ALL CLASSES WILL BE HELD BY ZOOM VIDEOCONFERENCE.
TIME: 7:30 p.m. – 9:30 p.m.
Fee: $275 Regular, $175 Student
Ferenczi is widely regarded as the founder of all relationship-based psychoanalysis. As his intense relationship with Freud (begun in 1908) matured, Ferenczi began to question and deviate from Freud, both theoretically and clinically.
This seven-lecture course, developed by Peter Dales, RP, locates Ferenczi within the history of psychoanalysis and demonstrates the range of his original contributions to psychoanalysis and particularly to clinical practice. A special area of focus is the relationship between Ferenczi and Freud and how that relationship shaped Ferenczi’s unique theory of clinical practice.
By the end of this course, participants should be able to:
1. Appreciate the many significant contributions Ferenczi offered to the theory and practice of psychoanalysis;
2. Understand Ferenczi’s enormous contribution to the importance of countertransference as an indispensable tool for psychoanalysis/psychotherapy;
3. Grasp the seminal importance of the early mother-child relationship in a person’s development;
4. Learn Ferenczi’s theory of trauma and its implications for treatment;
5. Understand that Ferenczi saw the typical analyst’s stance at the time as aloof and cold, leading him to advocate an atmosphere of safety, trust, openness, and lack of hypocrisy;
6. Integrate the idea that hierarchical and authoritarian notions have no place in the relationship structure of psychotherapy, that the therapeutic relationship must be based on the sense of respect and equality.
Interaction among the course participants and discussion of the material are most welcome.
ABOUT THE COURSE DIRECTOR
Peter Dales RP, BA has been in private practice, working with adult individuals, couples and groups in the psychoanalytic psychotherapeutic modality for 47 years and is faculty emeritus of the Centre for Training in Psychotherapy (CTP) (Toronto) for 2 years. He is a guest member of the TICP and of the Toronto Psychoanalytic Society.
ABOUT THE PRESENTER
Lisa Walter RP, MEd has been in private practice working with adults for 28 years, a member of the International Sandor Ferenczi Network for 2 years and is a candidate at TICP.
For more information please call 416.288.8060 or download the FERENCZI COURSE FLYER
[callout font_size=”16px” style=”silver”]Click Here To Register Today [button url=”https://www.gifttool.com/registrar/ShowEventDetails?ID=1485&EID=28982 ” target=”_blank” size=”small” style=”cherry” ]Spring 2021 Extension Program[/button][/callout]