“LOVE & HATE IN CONTEMPORARY CLINICAL PRACTICE”
Guest Presenters: Lewis Aron, Ph.D. and Galit Atlas, Ph.D.
MORNING: The Enigma of Desire
Presented by Galit Atlas, Ph.D.
Galit Atlas discusses the subjects of sex and desire and explores the Enigmatic and the Pragmatic aspects of sexuality, longing, sexual inhibition and creativity. She will present narratives, therapeutic tales which illustrate both the analyst’s and patient’s erotic desires and anxieties, and the ways these interact and emerge in the consulting room.
AFTERNOON: Fluctuations of Identity and Shifting Self-States: The Dramatic Dialogues of Harold Searles
Presented by Lewis Aron, Ph.D.
Lewis Aron will explore therapists’ fluctuations in identity and self-states, and their “dramatization” with patients, including expressions of “hate in the countertransference.” He will focus on the clinical contributions of Harold Searles, an innovative master clinician who was a forerunner of contemporary relational work. Videos of Searles clinical interviews will be used to facilitate discussion.
This event is an accredited group learning activity (section 1) as defined by the Maintenance of Certification Program of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, and approved by the Canadian Psychiatric Association (CPA). The specific opinions and content of this event are not necessarily those of the CPA, and are the responsibility of the organizer(s) alone
- Explain why contemporary psychoanalysis emphasizes “something more than interpretation.”
- Describe how attending to one’s own fluctuations in identity or self-states can be used clinically
- Describe two of the contributions of Harold Searles
- Describe two objections to Searles’ clinical approach
- Describe two of the complications and ways of managing the erotic transference and countertransference.
- Describe two implications of infant research for adult treatment.
Click here to download the full conference brochure.
Schedule for the day
|10:00 am||Introduction of speaker (Dr. Judi Kobrick)|
|10:10 am||The Enigma of Desire Dr. Galit Atlas|
|11:00 am||Dialogue between audience and Dr. Atlas|
|12:00 pm||Lunch (on your own)|
|2:00 pm||Flutuations of Identity and Shifting Self-StateDr. Lewis Aron|
|3:00 pm||Dialogue between audience and Dr. Aron|
|4:00 pm||Closing remarks (Dr. Kobrick)|